yaboot architecture

Raghu raghu_dk at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 03:52:23 MST 2006

Hello All,
I do not have a Power processor machine. After reading
the "README" etc I was not very clear about the
architecture and wanted to check if I can get more
detais.

1. There are not much platform specific initialization
code i.e. Power G3, G4, G5 etc specific code in yaboot

2. Is "yaboot" something like "GRUB" i.e. after
poweron on x86 based systems BIOS takes control, loads
GRUB which in turn has the option to boot strap either
windows or Linux ?

3. Is it like platform specific code for G3, G4 based
machines actually launches "yaboot" which in turn
reads the MBR from disk driver and loads the Linux
kernel ?

Thanks in Advance.
Warm Regards,
Raghu.