xine codec issues? (YDL 4.0.1)

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Fri Mar 10 19:36:42 MST 2006

Thanks for the info.  I do already have the latest version of xine (just
checked).  Unfortunately, mplayer refuses to run on YDL 4.0.1, at least it
does on my iBook G3.  There was a thread about this on the newbie list a
couple months ago.  The version that yum installs (supposedly the latest one)
just will not run.  Maybe it will if I compile from source, but I've never
done that before and I'm somewhat intimidated.

Anyway, I installed xine using yum as a solution to the mplayer problem.
(Mplayer is also buggy on OS X; it's probably not something confined to
Linux).  And VLC doesn't seem to be either in the YDL repos or at freshrpms.

-PRH