trouble installing Yellow Dog Linux

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Mar 15 13:40:07 MST 2006

Hi Chris:
Generally, before you install YDL (Yellow Dog Linux) you need to format
the drive onto which YDL will exist.

If only YDL will exist on that drive then before you run the installer
you need to boot from the Apple System Disk which came with your
computer.  In other words before we get to do anything involving Linux
or YDL we need to format the drive using Apple's Disk Utility which
resides within the System Disk (if you have the DVD form of that System
Disk which comprises the Hardware Test and everything else for OS X
otherwise you'll have a string of CDs; either way the program to use
will be Apple's Disk Utility regardless and it  should see the entire
drive you intend to dedicate to YDL.  As nothing else but YDL will be
on that drive all you need to do is select it to create 1 partition and
select the kind of partition called Free Space.  It is important to
note here that although Disk Utility calls it Free Space, in actually
that is the format structure upon which YDL will use to create ext3
partition from that free space.

After Disk Utility creates what it considers to be Free Space if the
Drive was mounted, it will disappear from the desktop.  OS X will ask
you to mount the drive, choose instead to ignore that request; in other
words ignore the drive.  After Disk Utility has finished creating the
Free Partition, and you've closed that application.  Then boot from the
YDL installation disk and tell YDL to format that newly formatted
drive.  Be sure that you can recognize which drive you are formatting
and read the partition maps of which drive you are telling the YDL
installer (anaconda) to turn into a Linux or YDL only disk.

It might be a good idea to review the installation manual before
proceeding further.
If you need to review a manual regarding the instructions just download
it (for free) from here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/installation/

I expect that the rest should be smooth sailing from that point.
Good Luck...