YDL 4.0.1 and Blue&WhiteG3

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 22:10:01 MST 2006

On 18/03/06, Brian Turner <brian at turnersystems.com> wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2006, at 6:03 PM, Andrew wrote:

> >> This added the entry alias eth0 gmac to the bottom of the modprobe
> >> file.
> >>
> >> I did a more on the file and the entry was there twice. rebooted and
> >> still no network.
> >>
> >> I did get this error when trying to add the card.
> >> system-config-network
> >> FATAL:module gmac not found

> > One last suggestion from me, then I can only blind-shot in the dark:
> >
> > root]# modprobe gmac
> >
> Bash: modprobe command not found

locate modprobe

It's in:
/sbin/modprobe

sbin contains executables that are meant to be run by the root user.
As such, these executables are NOT part of the path command for normal
users (echo $PATH). You need to do the following:
/sbin/modprobe

I just ran it on my Beige G3 (same problem as what you have) and get
the same error.

This is my (working) modprobe.conf:

alias snd-card-0 dmasound_pmac
alias eth0 8139too
install dmasound_pmac /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install dmasound_pmac &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove dmasound_pmac { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
}; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove dmasound_pmac

Note: I do have a 100 BaseT PCI card that's installed which is why you
see alias etho0 8139too. Check the list archives for details on which
card I installed and what I did to get it working (I think it was a
DLink)... probably about half a year ago now.

> I seem to be missing a number of commands. I can't ifconfig either.
> but I am not sure that is a command.

/sbin/ifconfig

PS Don't worry -- it's taken me two years to get to even this point. I
need to constantly refer to man pages and the web for help.

Eric.