yellowdog-newbie - Booting Macs from USB

William Jones wejones at pobox.com
Mon Mar 20 12:16:59 MST 2006

>>>The main job for the iBook will be to control (and I mean control,
>>>not only log!) heating and aircon in our new home, so the focus is
>>>more around low power (and price) then about speed. TO be more
>>>precise I'll try to press the kenel essentials into a 1 or 2 Gig
>>>memory stick and boot from that with the swap partition in RAM, so
>>>I can stop worrying about mechanical drives in the system.
>>>

>>I'm not an engineer, but I believe an hfs partition for yaboot is
>>necessary as that is the portion talking with the Mac's internals.
>
>So where's the beef? USB sticks can be partitioned just like a CD or HD.

This could be a problem with the iBook model you mention; IIRC no
PowerPC Mac can boot from USB. Pre-Intel Open Firmware only supports
Firewire based boot media. I have heard that this has changed with the
Intel Macs though. They apparently swap boot support from Firewire to
USB.

Can anyone confirm my sometimes subjective memory?

Will Jones