No Firewire install possible?

Kai Staats kstaats at terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 27 09:19:06 MDT 2006

All,

> I have similar problems with my SAME MACHINE.  I decided to have my company
> buy a Pre-installed YDL 4.1 on a 160 GB Firewire drive.  Still no success.
> Even support hasn't (as of this writing) helped.  I have tried all the help
> page "fixes"
>
> Hard drive installs on a dual boot Blue and White, however are fine and YDL
> is truly a fun learning experience.
>
> You are not alone . . . .!

I talked at length with Bob (of this thread) earlier this week. We are both
apologetic and frustrated by this apparent lack of support. The concept of
booting from FireWire w/an Apple is great, but in reality, it was no small
order.

The effort to bring this to fruition was a year and a half in development with
a great deal of in-house testing. Apparently, however, not enough. Yes, we
have built drives that easily migrate from G4 laptops to G4 towers. Even Bob
stated the FireWire drive we provided him booted his G4 laptop; but not his
tower.

We have a few G4 towers in-house we have tested, but apparently not the model
two or more of you have attempted w/out success. It is likely a difference in
the firmware or FireWire interface (spec) at the source of the failure.
Without one of these units in-house, it is very difficult to modify our code
to function on these units.

However, I was pleased to find Martin's resolution in a subsequent thread, a
bit involved as it may be :) This reinforces the strength of community over a
single entity.

Thank you!
kai