X on ancient iBook

Andrew Ball xless at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 8 01:46:24 MDT 2006

Hello Eric,

   > Well, a bit more googling and I've found the answer:
   > Boot into command line (e.g. linux 2 at the boot prompt)
   > cd /usr/X11/bin
   > ./Xautoconfig
   > init 5

That seems to have had no effect.  The display switches into
a graphics mode, but it looks as though either the frame
buffer memory is laid out differently than the X server
thinks, or the display is unable to cope with the signal
being fed to it by the CRTC. Both of these are guesses based
on what I'm seeing on the screen: if I squint it looks like
a graphical logon screen has been stretched off the right-
hand edge of the LCD and back on the other side. It's almost
as though a blank column of pixels has been inserted between
each column of pixels that /would/ be normal if the colours
weren't way off. If it helps, I can take a photograph of the
LCD and post it on the Web somewhere.

- Andy Ball.