dty? cu?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Fri Jun 23 08:07:22 MDT 2006

Hi Andy:
In general, these kind of adaptors allow older devices to appear as
though they were usb devices.  The attached device shows up, if the
connections are done correctly, as one usb device among other usb
devices.  You didn't explain which device you are discussing connecting
on the rs232 end.

Keep in mind that the rs232 device will be exclusively accessible
through the usb port and any Linux distribution -- including YDL --
will therefore use available usb utilities or protocols to access and
control this device, as a usb device.  Depending upon what the device
actually is and what it's original function was, it may not be possible
for it to function as fully as it did when it was communicating with
other rs232 devices years ago.  The link I provided below could provide
some background regarding why.  The simplest explanation is that usb
design and rs232 design implement different ideas regarding how devices
function and communicate with one another.

You may find this reference addressing usb and rs232 technologies
informative, so here is a link providing potentially useful
information:

http://www.beyondlogic.org/usb/otghost.htm

Best of Luck....