Problem installing on iMac G5

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Jul 5 12:36:53 MDT 2006

Hi Matthew:

The standard installation process is as follows:

1.  Language - set to your choice
2.  Keyboard -  define the keyboard layout you intend to use
3.  Installation type - This section allows you to setup what kind of
installation you want:
		a.  Personal Desktop
		b.  Workstation
		c.  Server
		d.  Custom
4.  Partition type - automatic or manual.  Explanation:
		*  Automatic allows the installer to do the partitioning for you.
Make sure you really understand the process involved and what to expect
if you are going to select this 		    option.
		*  Manual allows you to control how the linux partitions are created
which were previously prepared using Disk Utility from within OS X, as
explained in the YDL 4.1 		    installation manual.  If for some reason
you don't have the YDL 4.1 installation manual it is available here:

			http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/installation/

It is possible that you did not prepare either an internal drive or an
external firewire drive using Apple's Disk Utility first, as
recommended.  In other words, the partition program within the
installer essentially did not "see" partitions which it can prepare to
format into ext3.  It (the partition program) can see the Apple
partitions where OS X lives, but it is unlikely you want to select or
use that.

Preparing internal drives:
First, it is advised to back up essential OS X documents and other
archives.  Applications can be reinstalled, if necessary from scratch.
These are precautions to have in place before doing anything
significant.

When the backup is completed then one can boot from the Apple
Installation disk and activate Disk Utility from that disk.

One internal drive:  Keep in mind that Apple's Disk Utility will and
can format the portion of the internal drive to be assigned for YDL and
the portion of the same drive assigned to OS X -- at the same time.
The directions for which settings to use within Disk Utility to prepare
the YDL portion is detailed in the YDL 4.1 installation manual.

External Firewire Drive:  In this situation there is no reason to worry
about OS X partitions.  The entire Firewire drive can be prepared for
use by YDL.  Follow the same directions as advised within the YDL 4.1
manual.  Recall that when you are back in anaconda, the YDL installer,
at boot select the command install-g5 firewire.  In other words:

boot: install-g5 firewire

Then the install process proceeds allowing the appropriate kernel to be
installed so that you can boot from the firewire drive using a g5.

Good Luck....