USB WiFi adapter for PBs

Ebrahim Mayat ebmayat at mac.com
Tue Jul 25 06:59:05 MDT 2006

On Jul 24, 2006, at 8:28 PM, Jason DeVita wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Ebrahim Mayat wrote:
>> Since it is not possible to have YDL drivers for the AirPort
>> Extreme card in Powerbooks, the <http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/
>> support/solutions/ydl_4.1/usb-802.11b-key.shtml> suggests using
>> the D-Link DWL-122 (prism3 chipset) adapter for enabling WiFi. The
>> DWL-122 is however currently discontinued by D-Link. D-Link
>> suggest the DWL-G122 as a replacement product for the DWL-122.
>> Questions is does the driver for the DWL-122 work for the DWL-
>> G122? or alternatively, is there another USB WiFi adapter with
>> associated YDL driver that I could use with my PB 12"?
>
> According to http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/ there is a driver for the
> airport extreme cards included in linux kernel, starting with
> 2.6.17-rc2.  There is a thread on the Gentoo forums about it:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-409194.html
>
> I've never tried it, as my G3 ibook has a non-extreme airport
> card.  It does seem to require compiling the kernel, which may seem
> daunting to a newbie.  But it really isn't that scary, and you'll
> sound really cool when you tell people you compiled your own
> kernel.  Anyway, it's something to consider.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Jason

Hi Jason

Yes, this does help. The following URLs should provide what I need
for preparing a custom kernel :-)

<http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/
kernels.shtml> and <http://ppckernel.org>

If I understand correctly, the driver for the AirPort Extreme cards
should already be in the latest kernel so there should be no need to
compile the driver separately?

Many Thanks.
Ebrahim.