Recompiling new kernel (was:USB WiFi adapter for PBs)

Ebrahim Mayat ebmayat at mac.com
Sun Jul 30 07:51:45 MDT 2006

On Jul 26, 2006, at 9:23 AM, Jason DeVita wrote:

> //
> [6] Reboot and pray.  Upon rebooting, you'll get the normal choice
> of cdrom, osx, or linux.  After you choose linux, yaboot will give
> you a prompt (only for a couple seconds -- so be ready, or else it
> will boot the old kernel).  Type "myhairisonfire" (or whatever name
> you chose) at the prompt and you will boot the new kernel.  If
> things go bad, you can return to the old kernel by rebooting.
> =====================================
>
> Well, hopefully I haven't made any mistakes.  Report back with any
> question or problems!  The nice thing about building a kernel for
> the first time is that it is a win-win situation.  Either
> everything will work just fine, or you'll get to learn a lot about
> how linux works!
>
> -J

Jason

Well, I just tried it. Everything compiles fine with the new
settings. Well, reboot does not work When I enter the name of my new
kernel "linux_new", I get the following message:

Please wait, loading kernel...
/pci at f4000000/ata-6-6 at d/disk at 0:6,/boot/vmlinux-2.6.17.7: No such file
or directory

I am also unable to reboot into my old kernel "linux".

Would it possible to recover my old installation or does it look like
I may have to re-partition and re-install?

TIA.
Ebrahim