Recompiling new kernel (was:USB WiFi adapter for PBs)

Jason DeVita jdevita at umich.edu
Sun Jul 30 18:04:00 MDT 2006

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Ebrahim Mayat wrote:
> On Jul 26, 2006, at 9:23 AM, Jason DeVita wrote:
>
>> //
>> [6] Reboot and pray.  Upon rebooting, you'll get the normal choice of
>> cdrom, osx, or linux.  After you choose linux, yaboot will give you a
>> prompt (only for a couple seconds -- so be ready, or else it will boot the
>> old kernel).  Type "myhairisonfire" (or whatever name you chose) at the
>> prompt and you will boot the new kernel.  If things go bad, you can return
>> to the old kernel by rebooting.
>> =====================================
>>
>> Well, hopefully I haven't made any mistakes.  Report back with any question
>> or problems!  The nice thing about building a kernel for the first time is
>> that it is a win-win situation.  Either everything will work just fine, or
>> you'll get to learn a lot about how linux works!
>>
>> -J
>
> Jason
>
> Ignore my previous message. Everything compiled properly and the subsequent
> steps went without any problem. Only when I try to boot my newly-compiled
> kernel, I get the following mesage
>
> Please wait, loading kernel...
> /pci at f4000000/ata-6-6 at d/disk at 0:6,/boot/vmlinux-2.6.17.7: No such file or
> directory
>
> (The original kernel boots normally.)
>
> Any ideas?
> Again, many thanks for your detailed howto.

Whew!  You had me worried when you said the original kernel didn't boot.

It seems the bootloader is looking for /boot/vmlinux-2.6.17.7 and not
finding it.  Have you checked to see if it is there?  Make sure you
remembered to copy the newly built vmlinux to the /boot directory.  And
also check that the name you gave it matches the one in /etc/yaboot.conf.
It could be a simple typo like vmlinux_2.6.17.7 verus vmlinux-2.6.17.7.

If that all checks out, we can try to go from there.

-J