Recompiling new kernel (was:USB WiFi adapter for PBs)

Jason DeVita jdevita at umich.edu
Mon Jul 31 05:28:00 MDT 2006

Hi Derick,

Thanks for chiming in with some help.

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Derick Centeno wrote:
> I noticed some of the exchanges on this thread and believed that perhaps
> the following references could be helpful:
>
> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/kernels.shtml

This is for older kernels (2.2 and 2.4) and so there are small changes to
be made.  That's why I wrote out new instructions.

Also, the above instructions will completely replace the old kernel,
destroying the ability to return to the old kernel.

> The only addition to the above reference I would make would be to keep a
> log or notebook somewhere regarding what the name of the old kernel and
> old System map, and other files were.  Make sure I understood and had a
> record of their respective links and not make any changes to the new
> kernel or the kernel of your own creation until this record and/or
> understanding was thorough.  Why?  Because to return to the old kernel
> you will have to reverse or undo all the changes you made.

We set things up so that he can return to the old kernel if the new one
doesn't work.  And that part is working fine, thankfully.

> and this link would be useful as well:
>
> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/yaboot_kernel.shtml

This makes the same mistake we just made (see the email I wrote a couple
minutes ago).

-J