Recompiling new kernel (was:USB WiFi adapter for PBs)

Jason DeVita jdevita at umich.edu
Mon Jul 31 08:22:50 MDT 2006

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Ebrahim Mayat wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2006, at 7:21 AM, Jason DeVita wrote:
>> Aha!  Things have changed from the old days.  Aparently the "partition=6"
>> line is telling yaboot to look for the boot files on partition 6 (hence the
>> hda0,6 portion of the error message you were receiving).
>>
>> Try removing the "boot" from the second section.  In other words:
>>
>>  image=/vmlinux-2.6.17.7
>>        label=audio-linux
>>        read-only
>>        initrd=/initrd-2.6.15-rc5.ydl.1.img
>>        root=/dev/hda4
>>        append="rhgb quiet"
>>
>> Hopefully, that will do the trick.
>>
>> -J
>
> Jason, Derrick
>
> Many thanks for your prompt replies.
>
> Jason, I edited as above and now I get pass the first stage of booting but
> booting fails at the second stage:
>
> ramdisk loaded at 01c00000, size 1326 bytes
> Invalid memory access at ¹SRR0: 014080 e4 ¹SRR1: 00083030
> Apple Powerbook6,8 4.90f0 Boot ROM built on 01/10/05 at 10:39:14 "etc.etc"
>
> To continue booting, type "mac-boot" and press return
> To shut down, type "shut-down" and press return
> 	ok,
> 0 > _
>
> If I type "mac-boot" I come back to the "Invalid memory access" message.
>
> Ebrahim

Unfortunately, you are now dragging me up onto the rocky shores of my
knowledge... so this is going to get a little experimental.

First thing I'd try is removing the initrd line from new-kernel section of
yaboot.conf.  Since the error seems to be coming from the ramdisk, this
might solve the problem.  Having an initrd image is not necessarily
needed, so that could fix the whole problem.  If not, report back and we
can try building an initrd image from the new kernel.

-J