USB WiFi adapter for PBs (Compiling new kernel)

Ebrahim Mayat ebmayat at mac.com
Tue Aug 15 12:56:01 MDT 2006

Jason

I have edited your HOWTO to what worked for me.

On Jul 26, 2006, at 9:23 AM, Jason DeVita wrote:

> <cut?
> =====================================
> [1] Download the kernel source from www.kernel.org.  Get the latest
> stable version (currently 2.6.17.7).  Make sure to get the full
> source and not just the patch.
>
> (from here on out, I'll assume we're running as root.  It is not
> necessary to do so until later, but this will simplify things.)
>
> [2] Unpack the kernel
>
>    # mv /PATH_TO_WHERE_YOU_DOWNLOADED_IT/linux_2.6.17.7.tar.bz2 /
> usr/src/
>    # cd /usr/src
>    # bunzip2 linux_2.6.17.7.tar.bz2
>    # tar xf linux_2.6.17.7.tar
>    # cd linux_2.6.17.7
>
> [3] Configure the kernel.  Since you are only changing one thing,
> it's best to start with the default YDL kernel config.

       # make mrproper (not really necessary if building the kernel
source for the first time.)

>    # cp /boot/config-2.6.xx-blah-blah .config

    (# make mrproper ) cross out

>     # make menuconfig
>
> A menu-based configurator will come up -- this is where you need to
> tell the kernel to compile support for the bcm driver.  For this
> step, follow the instructions from the gentoo forum page listed above.

Enable:

Networking -->
      <M>   Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack
      [*]     Enable full debugging output
      <M>     IEEE 802.11 WEP encryption (802.1x)
      <M>     IEEE 802.11i CCMP support
      <M>     IEEE 802.11i TKIP encryption
      <M>     Software MAC add-on to the IEEE 802.11 networking stack
      [*]       Enable full debugging output

Device Drivers --> Network device support --> Wireless LAN drivers
(non-hamradio) & Wireless Extensions
      <M>   Broadcom BCM43xx wireless support
      [*]     Broadcom BCM43xx debugging (RECOMMENDED)

   # depmod 2.6.17.7

> [4] Build and install the kernel and modules
>
>    # make vmlinux
>
> (go get a snack)
>
>    # make modules
>
> (go have some coffee)
>
> Assuming no errors above
>
>    # make modules_install
>    # cp arch/ppc/boot/vmlinux /boot/vmlinux-2.6.17.7
>    # cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.17.7
>    # ln -s /boot/System.map-2.6.17.7 /boot/System.map
>
> [5] Configure yaboot.  Open up /etc/yaboot.conf in a text editor,
> and copy the section that starts with
>
>    image=/vmlinux-2.6.x.x-blah
>
> including all the indented lines below it.  In the (now) second
> instance, change "image=/boot/vmvlinux-2.6-xx-blah" to "image=//
> vmlinux-2.6.17.7" and change "label=linux" to
> "label=myhairisonfire" (or whatever name you desire).

    [6] Generate boot image

    # mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.17.7.img 2.6.17.7

> Then run
>
>    # /sbin/ybin
>
> to set the changes.
>
> [7] Reboot and pray.  Upon rebooting, you'll get the normal choice
> of cdrom, osx, or linux.  After you choose linux, yaboot will give
> you a prompt (only for a couple seconds -- so be ready, or else it
> will boot the old kernel).

Press the tab key and the names of both the old kernel and your newly-
built one should appear.

> Type "myhairisonfire" (or whatever name you chose) at the prompt
> and you will boot the new kernel.  If things go bad, you can return
> to the old kernel by rebooting.
>
> Well, hopefully I haven't made any mistakes.  Report back with any
> question or problems!  The nice thing about building a kernel for
> the first time is that it is a win-win situation.  Either
> everything will work just fine, or you'll get to learn a lot about
> how linux works!
>
> -J

Regards.