Fwd: Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac

sloopy malibu sloopy at ydl.net
Fri Aug 25 21:29:35 MDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 19:18 -0400, Derick Centeno wrote:
> Hi Eric!
>
> The points you raise are always interesting and a pleasure to learn
> from.  It is admirable that others, including Jeffrey, have gone in
> this direction and gotten things to work.  Perhaps what is needed is
> one place to collect and store all this effort and knowledge for
> review, study and examination -- so that this (the work we are
> discussing) and others like it can be evaluated in a common and shared
> view.  This would elevate this and other efforts like it, from the
> realm of hear say or rumor to something of a more reliable level
> determined or evaluated/experienced by members of the YDL community.

there is alot of this documented on the forums.

> The basis of my concern regarding Jeffrey's approach regarding using
> yum to update/upgrade across different versions of YDL however, is
> exactly the problem you experienced.
>
> Besides there is another difficulty also, yum didn't exist yet for YDL
> 3; it used apt-get.

um, it did? apt-get was available but yum debuted in 3.0, and 2.3 used
'yup' Yellowdog UPdater, which is where 'yum' gets its name Yellowdog
Updater Modified.

> However, there's nothing like an official statement from TSS:
>
> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/faq/upgrade.shtml
> =========

yeah installing 4.x directly is a much better idea, and on OW installing
4.0 wont work but 4.0.1 should (4.0 didnt have some OW support compiled
into the kernel)

i havnt looked at this thread too closely, but will check on installing
4.x on an OW again, and make a new install guide if need be.

sloopy.