iBook G3 - Remove YDL?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat Sep 2 05:27:28 MDT 2006

Hi Will!

YDL can be removed, but you may have to use a bit more "brute force"
method to do it.  Try to recall how you formatted that hard drive (HD)
in the first place.  If you used the entire drive for YDL, then the
procedure is to erase the entire drive using Apple's Disk Utility.  Let
me be clear, Apple's Disk Utility is the name of that application which
can format and reformat the entire drive so that it is recognized by
the Mac OS X; I think, that the name of that application for OS 9 (and
earlier) was Apple's Disk Tools or just Disk Tools.  You'll need a disk
which has both Disk Tools and Mac OS 9 -- this should be the Apple
System Disk and Disk Tools should be somewhere there.

The idea is to boot from that disk.  Erase and reformat the drive to
that format structure which Mac OS 9 needs to see... which I think is
hfs, it could be described differently -- so check Apple's own manuals.

If you cannot, hopefully you have an old copy of HD formatters such as
Micromat Techtools Pro, or something like that which you can use to
format the HD for OS 9.  Once that is done, you should be able to
reinstall OS 9 as well as any applications for OS 9.  Hopefully, you
have an application such as Dantz's Retrospect to back up that system
once it begins to get used.

Good Luck...