How to do an HTTP Install

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Sep 20 17:05:38 MDT 2006

Hey Mark!

How ya doin'?

One of the TSS engineers (Tim Renner) recommended a procedure which is
clear and direct.  I had tried to look up details on the web regarding
this but the plethora of information which was imprecise was
astonishing.  Anyway there is one limitation with this method, you
definitely will be better off with a Broadband ISP connection so that
the transmission between TSS servers and your computer occurs within a
reasonable amount of time as the installation process proceeds.  Other
than that if the hard drive (HD) has been prepared such that partition
has been formatted by the Apple Disk Utility as Free Space (as
recommended in the standard installation instructions manual) then you
should be ready.  The instructions follow:

At the Bootloader Prompt type install askmethod.  In other words:

boot:install askmethod

The next line which appears will be a query for the server and the
directory to refer to on that server.  For instance this will appear:

server:

Although you can type in any one of the ydl mirrors posted here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/downloads.shtml

As an example he chose the following:

server: mirror.mcs.anl.gov

A pause before we continue.  Note that there is no http, ftp or other
prefix or suffix to use.  After you press the Enter/Return key, the
system will
respond with:

dir:

At this point, the system is waiting for the directory on that server to
refer to and get data from.  Another pause at this point for clarification.
One of the available mirrors at that link (the TSS downloads page) is
http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/yellowdog.
If you click on that link from within your browser you'll see that the
first line of that webpage is

Index of /yellowdog

and further down is a list of directories of which one is releases.  Now
within releases choose yellowdog-4.1; then you'll notice the directory
en, choose to go into that, then choose os and then you'll see what's
available there.  The purpose of this minor side-track is to help you
understand the next command sequence so that should you choose another
mirror you will be enabled to make the correct sequence of choices
because you will hopefully understand how that server's directories for
YDL are organized.

Returning to where we left off the next response is as follows:

dir: yellowdog/releases/yellowdog-4.1/en/os/

That's it for getting this procedure moving into proceeding as a
standard installation of YDL.

Now to the problem of getting to that point so that you can begin the
process.  It is clear that the standard YDL CDs won't work on your drives.
One work around to consider is to download the iso's of YDL from any one
of the mirrors.  Now the above exercise of accessing the mirrors via
your browser is repeated but for a different purpose.

The idea will be that you download the iso's and burn then onto new CDs
which your OWC installed drive can use and recognize.  As OWC provided
the drive to you, they should know which CDRs or CDRWs that drive
likes.  Be sure to get the details, it might be restricted to using one
kind of manufacture or make.  Find out.  Once that is done however and
you acquire those particular media; the process of burning with OS X
will be the same as burning anything else.  Refer to this page here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/iso_burn-osx.shtml

Other detail to consider:

Let's use the same mirror as above for simplicity.  We are downloading
iso's from this server, how do we get them?  If you notice, the same
page where the releases directory appears (before you enter it) is the
same page where there exists the directory containing the iso's!  It is
listed simply as iso/, so from within your browser just click and go
into iso/!  Within that directory are listed all the iso's for various
versions of YDL, you are only interested in the iso's for 4.1 and so
these are listed last within this directory.

Now for the really important stuff.  In that same directory is a file
called md5sum.  You need to open it and make a note somewhere of the
md5sum values for each 4.1 iso file.  Each value is different make sure
you copy them accurately.  Since you are using OS X you can quickly
select the md5sum values associated with each particular 4.1 iso file by
highlighting it as a group and copy it.  Then open the Stickies app,
create a new Note and Paste that information into that note.  Those
md5sum values are the values which were determined by TSS to identify
that the download you made is exactly the same as the originals on their
servers and the various mirrors.  It is a reference or standard against
you can compare.  I engaged a discussion regarding using md5sum
elsewhere; the link to it is provided here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/msg01249.html

I may have omitted in passing that one begins to download the iso from
the mirror by clicking upon that file.  Once all the .iso's are
downloaded to your hard drive within a particular directory, then one
should run the md5sum test from within that same directory executed from
within the Terminal.  The Terminal is found within the Utilities
directory of OS X.  Once the md5sum values match exactly you can then
proceed to burn those isos.  Once those isos have been burned onto CDs
those CDs should be easily readable by that OWC drive.  Once that
happens you should then also be able to boot from those CDs as they
should be compatible to that drive.

Downloading each iso and burning each CD takes up quite a bit of time.
And one has not even begun the installation process!  More time!

One solution to this is to just download one iso, the iso for the 1st CD
and make sure that the md5sum checks for that.  Once that occurs, then
boot from that 1st CD and then begin the http install procedure we
discussed earlier.

Good Luck... you've got my sincerest hopes and best wishes for a
successful installation.

Derick.