RealPlayer10 issues

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Sun Sep 24 19:55:28 MDT 2006

Thanks for your reply.  The Helix Player I downloaded was the one linked from
the YDL site: Helix Player 1.0.4.752-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-powerpc.bin.
I see from the link you sent that this is not the latest version,
unfortunately.  Anyway, I followed the instructions that came with Helix
Player, and everything went OK except that the player did not show up
in my KDE menu.  Then I noticed that there's a shell script "hxplay"
in /usr/bin along with "hxplay.bin".  I ran that, as root:

# /usr/bin/hxplay

That walked me through a brief graphical setup, but Helix Player still does
not appear in my KDE menu.  Here's what I get if I try to run the binary from
a terminal, as a regular user:

$ /usr/bin/hxplay.bin
** (hxplay.bin:25684): WARNING **: HXPlayer: Error 0x80004005: "A general
error has occurred."

** ERROR **: Could not create helix engine. You must run:
export HELIX_LIBS=<path to your helix libs>
aborting...
Aborted

I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong here, but I don't know enough Unix to
know what that is.

Also, as far as the RealPlayer goes, I do have RealPlayer10 showing up in the
K menu, and it appears to run OK--that is, until you ask it to open any kind
of Real file (e.g. ".rm").  Then it hangs and has to be force-quit.

Thanks,
-PRH