RealPlayer10 issues - addendum

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Sep 24 20:40:58 MDT 2006

Hi Paul:

Sorry that you are struggling through Helixplayer. I'm pretty sure that
the standard command to invoke any app like Helixplayer is to first go
to the directory where it is and then invoke it using ./ (period
followed by /) as in:

$./helixplayer

I'm assuming that is the name of the app it appears in /usr/bin. If it
is not, then use whatever the name of that app is.

On a different note you could go here:

https://player.helixcommunity.org/2005/downloads/

Look at the Linux-ppc column and you'll see available, both Realplayer
10.0.5 Gold and Helixplayer 1.0.5 Gold available -- with Installers! The
installers will or should install the apps for you without the
difficulties you are encountering. If you still have difficulties you
can always download the source of these apps (which is compressed into
what is known as bz2 format.

There is a nice online Linux reference I like to refer to from time to
time, it's The Linux Documentation Project (http://tldp.org/). You may
like them.

By the way, I just noticed that the filename you used hxplay.bin.  You
tried to invoke that?  I believe that is a file compressed into binary
format.  You have to uncompress that file, once you do that .bin suffix
will be removed and the file you execute (called by programmers the
executable will be in /usr/bin as something like helixplayer.  As as
quick check you can look at all the other programs in /usr/bin -- none
of them end in .bin either.

tar can remove that .bin suffix for you also.  It can do a lot of
things.  Do man tar or info tar as in:

$man tar

to learn more.  Or go to the project; I always reference stuff there.
Religiously!

Really.

Good Luck....