weird Mozilla/Firefox behavior, location of plugins?

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Sun Oct 1 22:36:54 MDT 2006

OK, I've got a weird one here...

I installed Firefox on my YDL 4.0.1 system a while ago, and I've been quite
happy with it.  But in the process of testing out whether the Flash plugins I
had installed were working or not, I wanted to get  my old version of Mozilla
running.  Well, here's where it gets strange: "Web Browser" in the KMenu,
which used to correspond to Mozilla, now launches Firefox.  (There is a
separate listing for Firefox in KMenu).  So I try adding an application
button to the panel, but since this is based on the listings in KMenu...well,
you guessed it, there seems to be no way to get Mozilla running.  I guess
I'll try using yum to remove and then reinstall Mozilla.

Anyway, is this some sort of bug in Firefox?  There have been some weird ones,
like the one in the x86 version where you can't open a new tab when
right-clicking on a link.

I think the Flash plugins I installed are working OK (is there anything on the
net that *doesn't* use Flash?!), but I noticed while rooting around in a
terminal that Mozilla doesn't seem to have a plugins folder; /usr/bin/mozilla
had a couple items in it (I think part of Helix Player, e.g. nphelix.so and
nphelix.xpt), but no subdirectories for plugins.  Though there is
a /usr/bin/plugins, which seems to be a general plugins directory.  Does
everything share this directory?  I also noticed that my home mozilla
directory (~/.mozilla) has nothing plugin-related except "pluginreg.dat" and
a similar one farther in for Firefox (~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat).

I take it this is one of the differences between Fedora and Debian?  Because
my x86 work machine (which runs Debian) has quite a different directory
structure.  On that machine, you must install plugins separately for each
app.  I think for Mozilla it's /usr/bin/mozilla/plugins or something.

Anyway, for now I copied (in a terminal as root) the plugins from the Adobe
Flash download into /usr/bin/plugins and /usr/bin/mozilla, and I also
installed the Flash animation plugins using Synaptic.  I should add that the
Adobe installer for the Flash browser plugin apparently isn't smart enough to
run on anything except x86; I had to do my installation manually.  At least
they provide some instructions on this in a README file.

Thanks,
-PRH