YDL4 (was Re: unable to install Klash...)

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Fri Oct 27 22:35:13 MDT 2006

On Friday 27 October 2006 22:11, Norberto Quintanar wrote:
> 4.0, not 4.1.  There is a way to do it using YUM, but it's NOT for
> the faint of heart.

Well, I'm not feeling too faint-hearted these days : ) so I'd certainly be
interested in any info or links you'd care to pass along.  I assume that you
need to install 4.0 and then upgrade to 4.1?  I also assume there's a ton of
dependency hell?  And how do you get yum to jump entire versions of YDL (i.e.
from 4.0 to 4.0.1)?  I also wonder if using something like Synaptic (a tool
from Debian which you can install on YDL) would make this easier.  I've
certainly found Synaptic a good addition to yum and use it all the time.

I hate to say this once again, but the latest release of Debian (3.1r3) will
*still* run on Old World just fine (but probably rather slowly).  I haven't
tried it yet on PPC, though, but I do use Debian on my x86 machine at work.
The documentation is nearly the same for x86 and PPC; the main difference is
the installation of a PPC bootloader, e.g. BootX.  Just make sure you
download and print out the install manual, and do yourself a favor and get
the "Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible" at a bookstore.

-PRH