YDL4 (was Re: unable to install Klash...)

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 05:45:46 MDT 2006

On 27/10/06, Bill Perrotta <billperrotta at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Right now i'll work on installing firefox instead. Paul can you post how you
> got firefox to run shockwave flash? and will this enable me to view
> shockwave flash enabled we pages?
>
> Bill Perrotta <billperrotta at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  ok i already have ydl 4.0 burned guess i'll use that. But if there is a way
> to get flash running on ydl 2.1 that would be even better because right now
> it's running perfectly. Installing ydl 4.0 might or might not work.

I'm glad to see you're persevering with YDL and your new-found (free)
friend, the PowerMac 8600!

YDL 4.0 should work on your machine with few (or no) problems.
Although YDL 4.0 officially only supports "NewWorld" Macs*, people
have had lots of success running YDL 4.0 on OldWorld machines (me
included). Installing it requires the bare minimum of fiddling and is
worth it!

Points:
- To install YDL 4.0, you need to obtain a version of the kernel
that's not included on the install CDs (easy download) and configure
BootX to use it.

- At one point you need to three-finger-salute (command-control-power)
the computer to restart it: the YDL installer tries to do configure
something that OldWorld machines don't support and hangs... no harm
done.

- After you get YDL 4.0 installed, you can use 'yum' (the package
management software) to update all software (including the kernel...
you may have to prevent it from installing the G5 kernel (64 bit
kernel), however) to the latest/last YDL 4.0.1 version (security fixes
are occasionally released for YDL 4.0.1).

- Flash? No idea how to get that running. You can use open source
projects to run some Flash code, but the official Adobe/Macromedia
software only works under Mac OS X and on x86-clones (Linus/Windows).

- If you have enough memory (e.g. 64 MB or more... 128 MB or more
STRONGLY recommended) you could, in theory install MOL (Mac-On-Linux)
and run a Mac OS inside MOL. The 8600 was a speed demon in its day,
but that day pre-dated Mac OS X by quite a bit. You can possibly get
Mac OS X 10.2 running under MOL but it will be as slow as molasses in
January (or, if you're a 'Roo or a Kiwi, July ;-), especially if you
only have 64 MB of RAM! You could also try running Mac OS 9 under MOL.
In that case, you could run an older version of Flash but you wouldn't
be suffering the same performance penalty (an OS under MOL runs at
~90% native speed, but, that speed is dependent on the amount of REAL
RAM that your machine has).

Note: AFAIK, no one is running YDL 4.1 on an OldWorld Mac. Rumours
were circulating for a few months after it was released but no hard
evidence has surfaced!

*For more info on OldWorld vs. NewWorld Macs see
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Macintosh>.

Eric.