unable to install Klash in Konquereror cannot view flash

Bill Perrotta billperrotta at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 28 17:51:27 MDT 2006

is it true that i need os9 to install yellow dog 4 or is os8 good enough?

Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote: On 28/10/06, Bill Perrotta  wrote:
> I am working on getting osx 10.2.8 from an ebay seller if i can
> If he doesn't have the full version i'll go with 0s9 install it on mac i'm
> giving away.

> I'll keep the mac with yellowdog 2.0 for myself. Since i use windowsxp on my
> other machine for the internet. i still wish i could gt more info on klash
> though> and an easy step by step to upgrade to ydl. I hate when they say
> things like set up bootx to use new kernel and ramdisk. How? I can copy
> kernel to specified folder but what file to i edit with vi to do this?
> english please!

You need to be in Mac OS 9 to do this!

You've been given a number of links to the installation process (two
different ones), once by me and once by others. Follow those
instructions.

When you're fiddling with YDL, remember that Mac users _hate_ the
command line and having to waste their time on such trivial
interfaces. As such, even Linuxes for Mac were designed with the GUI
and ease-of-use in mind.

To get your kernel into the  right location you'll have to copy it
using the Mac OS Finder (i.e. the place where you move files around
using the GUI). The installation guides tell you where to put the
files.

How to configure BootX? vi? That's a Linux thing! No need to hit the
command-line to configure BootX.

BootX is a control panel and is found in the Control Panels folder (at
least, that's where it should be ;-) in the System folder. You should
also have the Control Panels folder under the Apple menu. Open BootX
and configure things using the graphical interface.

Hints:
1. You may need Stuffit Expander installed on your Mac OS 9 machine to
uncompress the kernel;
2. Download it from the other link that I provided to you;
3. If you want to take screen snap shots in OS 9, you press
command-shift-3 (command=Apple key).

FYI BootX is a boot loader that loads Linux (and other OSes... on
OldWorld computers, BootX is required to load some Mac OS X versions
(plus, on my Beige G3 it's the only way I can boot OS X 10.2.8 (of
course, YDL has now been up 229 days without a restart and NO UPS on
the computer :-).

BootX requires Mac OS 9 to be on the comptuer's hard drive and that
you boot Mac OS 9. BootX loads early in the OS 9 boot process and
offers you the option to continue booting into either Mac OS 9 or into
Linux. BootX is needed because Apple's Mac OS 7/8/9 initialize certain
parameters on the computer that YDL cannot (probably because of patent
and copyright issues that are beyond Apple's control and not worth
Apple's time and/or money to rectify). Thus, OS 9 does the dirty work
of configuring video buffers and a few other things and then BootX
passes control to the Linux kernal that in turn does its magic (I
could be wrong on some of the details but the process takes place in
that order).

Eric.