unable to install Klash in Konquereror cannot view flash

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Sun Oct 29 21:59:50 MST 2006

On Sunday 29 October 2006 19:08, Bill Perrotta wrote:
> Thanks for the advice. I ordered mac os 9.2 from an ebay seller and can't
> wait to get my hands on it. Question though do you know if the jaguar
> 10.2.8 update will update os 9.2 to osx or do i need a full install of os
> 10.2.8 reason i'm asking is cause I have a source for os x  msoffice that i
> could run. This would be for my friends mac. I will probably just use os
> 9.2 and yellow dog on mine possibly ydl4 if i can figure out how to get it
> installed if not at least ydl 3.1.with a dual boot of os 9 and yellowdog i
> can run os9 when i want to go on the internet and ydl for everything else.
> No support for shockwave on ydl ppc is just plain stupidity.

As for 9.2, that is a very different thing than OS X, however I think many of
the versions of OS X came with a 9.2 CD in the package (mine did, anyway).
You need to install OS 9.2 as part of an OS X install if you want "Classic"
support.  ("Classic" is Apple's term for the OS 9 compatibility layer, which
isn't exactly OS 9--a long story).  Anyway, you can't update 9.2 to X because
they're completely different operating systems.

It's confusing because in OS X, you have a (sorta) version of OS 9.2 running
concurrently with X, not unlike running VirtualPC.  So to recap, if you want
OS X with "Classic" (OS 9) compatibility, you will need a full install
version of OS X as well as an OS 9.2 CD.  The 10.2.8 updater you probably
found at the Apple site *will not* work unless you already have an earlier
version of 10.2.

To make things even a little more confusing, it is *also* possible to
partition your drive so that you can boot into a *real* version of OS 9 (as
opposed to OS X running the "Classic" emulator).  You do this simply by doing
an OS 9 install on one partition and an OS X install on another (and most
likely, a YDL install on a third partition).  See the YDL install manual for
more info.  I think every version of YDL since 2.2 has instructions for dual
and triple booting.

Still, if I were installing YDL on an OldWorld machine, I'd probably do a
minimal OS 9 install, and then install the BootX bootloader and YDL.  Like I
said before, OS X is just incredibly bloated.  I can't believe how much my
dual G5 chokes on just simple stuff (e.g. scrubbing from one location to
another in movies is very jerky and often plagued with long delays--it sucks,
frankly).  Maybe 10.4 is a little better, but 10.3.9 is just terrible. I
can't imagine it wouldn't be a lot worse on a slower machine.

As for Shockwave/Flash, see my earlier post about how I got Flash banners and
animations working in Firefox.  I'm not sure if this will give you fully
functional Flash capabilities (I haven't been on enough Flash sites to know
for sure), but it definitely gives you working banners and animations.

-PRH