YDL 3.0 locks up on third screen during install on PPC 8500

Bill Perrotta billperrotta at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 12:30:08 MST 2006

ok but the weird thing was when i kept trying to force it to take ydl 2.1 for some reason it freezes up but i kept trying and that version installed successfully once. I have no idea why but after that i set it up as an nfs server and it worked perfectly.but i reformatted the hd with os9 and now i can't get it to install again.

Olaf Neumann <neumann.o at t-online.de> wrote: Hello to all!

Well, I have also a PPC 8500 with all Parts, that where
inside from the Apple.

I had the same Problems with ydl 3.0 and 4.0 .

The Problem is the Kermel, what is used to get the System
installed.

You will not get the Problem with the Installation solved
by your self, you need a modified Kernel to install
succesfull.

Somebody made for the install of ydl 4.0 a Kernel to install,
what I have used for a successfull Installation.

The Problem seens to be, that the (Install)Kernel from the
Install-CD does not support the MESH-SCSI Controller, what is
in the PPC 8500.

In between i tried also Mandrake, where you can select for
for your Controller a Driver, if you have Problems, that the
Media wont get found.

That is the Reason, why I believe, that the (Install)Kernel
for ydl 3.0 and 4.0 does not support the MESH-SCSI Controller.

Regards
Olaf Neumann

> Von: Olaf Olson
> Antworten an: Discussion List for New Yellow Dog Linux Users
>
> Datum: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 01:20:57 -0800
> An: Discussion List for New Yellow Dog Linux Users
>
> Betreff: Re: YDL 3.0 locks up on third screen during install on PPC 8500
>
> Bill,
>
> Have you used the text install, or the graphical installer? I seem to
> recall that I had a similar problem with my initial install when I ran
> the graphical installer.
>
> You may also have problems with the CDs you are using. Where did you get
> them? Download? Purchase?
>
> Olaf
>

> Bill Perrotta wrote:
>> When I try to do a ydl 3.x install on my mac 8500 or powerwave clone.
>> I can start the install but on the screen that asks for the media the
>> screen locks and I can't go any farther. So far The only ydl version i
>> got installed successfully as a development station was ydl 2.1 figi
>> on my ppc 8500. I found an rpm upgrade document from 2.3 Dayton to 3.0
>> Sirius on the internet. If no one has any better suggestions right now
>> I am attempting to install 2.3 and upgrade it to 3.0. But if anyone
>> has a better solution to this problem let me know.

>> Sponsored Link
>>
>> $200,000 mortgage for $660/mo - 30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt, home
>> equity - Click now for info

Sponsored Link

$420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/month -   Think You Pay Too Much For Your Mortgage? Find Out!