more multimedia stuff (RealPlayer, etc.)

Kai Staats kstaats at terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Dec 7 10:27:26 MST 2006

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 23:24, Paul Higgins wrote:
> I've posted a few times about the (limited) success I've had in getting
> various types of multimedia to work in YDL.  In particular, I figured out a
> way to get some Flash animations and banners to work on many websites
> (using the Firefox browser--see my previous posts).

Can you plz send that post to me directly? Thanks ...

> Anyway, I was just checking out the IMDB website this evening to view a
> couple trailers, but haven't had much luck.  IMDB provides several options
> for streaming: usually WMV, QuickTime, and RealPlayer.  WMV and QT are
> pretty much impossible under YDL (Micro$haft won't release a PPC plugin for
> WMV, and likewise Apple won't release a generic Unix QT).  RealPlayer does
> work for me on x86 Linux; I installed the RealPlayer for x86 Debian
> (RealPlayer 10 Gold, I think) and the plugin works great with Firefox.  Has
> anyone had luck with streaming video using the PPC version of RealPlayer,
> specifically the browser plugin?
>
> I can vouch that the version of RealPlayer that I currently have installed
> (10.0.4) does work really well for streaming audio; I use it all the time
> to listen to various live streams.  I just wish that video worked as well.
> Recently I found a newer version of RealPlayer (10.0.5), so maybe I'll try
> installing that.  Unfortunately, I think that the previous RealPlayer has
> to be manually uninstalled first (it's not available through yum, Synaptic,
> or any other automated installer).

We are now moving to solidify a set of apps for audio/video recording and
playback. I know RealPlayer works well, as I can watch the videos that Red
Hat has posted on their site. However, the method of saving the video is very
specific to the particular version of RealPlayer available for YDL.

I will approach Real and see if we can shake loose a more modern version.

kai