repost of "Re: more multimedia stuff (RealPlayer, etc.)"

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Thu Dec 7 22:57:41 MST 2006

On Thursday 07 December 2006 11:27, Kai Staats wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 November 2006 23:24, Paul Higgins wrote:
> > In particular, I figured out
> > a way to get some Flash animations and banners to work on many websites
> > (using the Firefox browser--see my previous posts).

OK, here's what I've discovered.  Not surprisingly, Flash multimedia sites
like YouTube do not work.  However, sites that use Flash to do banners for
ads, etc. DO work.  I've checked this against my work machine (x86 Debian).
What is probably doing the trick is the flashplayer.xpt plugin for Firefox.
I think the other plugin (libflashplayer.so) is x86-only.  I can't tell for
sure, as the Adobe site does not make it at all clear, but the fact that I
can't get YouTube to work at all suggests that libflashplayer.so is
incompatible.  The .xpt plugins for Mozilla are totally cross-platform.

> Can you plz send that post to me directly? Thanks ...

Here you go:

> Right now i'll work on installing firefox instead. Paul can you post how
> you got firefox to run shockwave flash? and will this enable me to view
> shockwave flash enabled we pages?

I'm trying to remember exactly what I did--I believe the following is
accurate, though.  I was visiting sites where Firefox was nagging me about
how I needed to install a Flash player/extension to see everything on that
site, and so I clicked "Install", which then took me to the Adobe site (Adobe
bought Macromedia, I guess), and there was a download for Linux.  Here's the
site (watch the word wrap on this--it's all one line):

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&P2_Platform=Linux

So I copied/printed the directions from the Adobe site, downloaded the file,
and then unpacked the download (it's a .tgz compressed file).  Then I printed
out more directions from the unpacked file.  At which point I found out that
the install script is x86-only.  Lovely.  So then I read through the
directions again, and found some info on doing a manual install/uninstall.
Then, quite frankly, I did some guessing.  The Adobe instructions gave me
some clues:

To remove the Plug-in Player for Linux:

For root users:

- Quit the browser.
- Navigate to the browser's plug-in directory
(i.e. /usr/local/mozilla/plugins).
- Remove libflashplayer.so and flashplayer.xpt.

That told me that I needed to move these files into the plugins directory--in
other words, the reverse of these directions.  The problem is
that /usr/local/mozilla/plugins doesn't exist!  But /usr/bin/mozilla
and /usr/bin/plugins do exist, so I copied libflashplayer.so and
flashplayer.xpt into both of these directories.  I don't know if this gives
you fully functional Flash capabilities (I haven't gone to enough Flash sites
to be sure), but it definitely gave me working animations and banners in
Firefox.

By the way, for some reason, Firefox uses the same plugin directory that
Mozilla does--there is no separate /usr/bin/firefox.

> We are now moving to solidify a set of apps for audio/video recording and
> playback. I know RealPlayer works well, as I can watch the videos that Red
> Hat has posted on their site. However, the method of saving the video is
> very specific to the particular version of RealPlayer available for YDL.

I'll be looking forward to that.  PPC Linux *should* be the Linux of choice
for multimedia, especially since so many people who create multimedia use
Macs.  And there are some really interesting things happening for Linux when
it comes to multimedia, particularly electronic music.  Here's an excellent
site that some may have seen before:

http://linux-sound.org/

-PRH