FireWire hard drives

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Sat Dec 23 23:34:23 MST 2006

Hi, Derick:

Happy holidays to you, too, and everyone on the list.  Speaking of the spirit
of the holiday season, my niece is getting my G3 iBook to replace her cheapo
eMachines PC that my brother bought her about a year ago, which just blew up.
Yes, I'm putting YDL on it.  : )

As for the FireWire drive, I think I figured out what was going on.  Take a
look at the log again.  At first the system can't figure out whether there's
a legit FS, but then it finds it.  The relevant lines are here:

> Dec 23 15:34:49 localhost kernel: EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
> Dec 23 15:34:49 localhost kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with
> ordered data mode.

I'm not sure why the system gets confused at first, but clearly it figures
things out, as farther down the log you can see that it lists the not only
the correct FS, but also the correct vendor (Maxtor), drive size (250 GB),
and interface (ieee1394).

Anyway, I followed the instructions in that first link exactly, and everything
went without a hitch.  I'm sure that mkfs was able to make a legit ext3 FS.
It must have worked as I've been able to back up everything on the old iBook
so far.  So the drive is basically working, just not as smoothly as I'd like.
Maybe the kernel just doesn't like the cheesy Chinese-made FireWire enclosure
I got from my local "whitebox" store...who knows?

The thing that's confusing about that article I linked is that it says to make
a new entry in both /mnt and /etc/fstab, while the YDL directions say only to
create a new directory in /mnt and they never mention /etc/fstab.  I wish I
knew enough Unix to understand why both things can work OK.

It would be nice if Linux could get plug-n-play working a bit more reliably
when it comes to FireWire and Flash drives.  I find it pretty ridiculous that
I have to mount a drive from a terminal, as nice as it is to have that
particular skill.  (To be fair, however, YDL does a better job with Flash
drives then does my Debian x86 machine at work).  What would be ideal is for
FireWire and Flash drives to automount once they have been properly
formatted.  I don't mind using a CLI for formatting/mkfs at all, however.

Now I just need to see if copying over my KMail directory works properly when
going from YDL 4.0.1 to 4.1.  And that reminds me of another pet peeve: there
doesn't seem to be any easy way to copy stuff from /home to the FireWire
drive using the GUI.  I have to use the CLI for that.  It's not that
difficult, but it is inconvenient.

-PRH