FireWire hard drives

Jim Baker frstprin at mninter.net
Sun Dec 24 20:05:32 MST 2006

Hi all,
	I'm probably upstream from Paul (below post) in learning my way around
the Linux command line. Yes, I built street rods in the '60's, know
about camshaft lift and duration and can even do some trouble shooting
with a multimeter. I learned some DOS and a command line stat program
15 years ago, but with a dozen fragmented hours a week, haven't been
able to get clued in about how to set up my hard drives.

I've started to get familiar with a few commands (cd, ls), but don't
know enough to write complete commands with my own system instead of
generic defaults often provided. I have started to experiment with
Ubuntu (on G-3 dual boot with OSX) and YDL (on a firewire external hard
drive).
	So far, I had the Ubuntu running when it first installed, and the OS
option menu (script) comes up when I first boot the Powerbook, but then
defaults to OSX regardless of which OS I choose. From archived posts
I've read, I think it has something to do with where yaboot (Ubunut
boot loader) is located. I'm thinking I should be able to type a shell
command at the startup prompt and then specify which OS I want to start
in another command. If anyone has insights, fire away! I have posted
requests to the Ubuntu site and had no replies. There seems to be a
certain minimal knowledge base expected for entry into the OS world.
How do I get that?
	For Yellow Dog, I'm trying to install it on my external 40 gb Seagate
HD (in a case that seems good quality). I partitioned the drive in
halves and am using the second partition for storage. Will this work? I
don't understand the EXT3 FS, fdisk, mkfs, and sda1 references. I'm
hitting the same wall with commands to set the drive up, etc.
	I need a north star!
	Thanks!
	Jim B.