802.11g (Airport Extreme) progress?

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Sun Jan 7 15:14:25 MST 2007

Has anyone been able to get the Airport Extreme (Broadcom 802.11g) cards in
the various Apple products (e.g. iBook G4) working with YDL?  Someone managed
to reverse-engineer the Broadcom chipset, which is reportedly used not only
in the Apple cards, but also in other products e.g. PCI cards from Linksys.
Anyway, I imagine some people have seen this site:

http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/

Here are a couple more links with some helpful info:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-87925.html
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Finally,_a_linux_driver_for_the_Airport_Extreme_

I saw it claimed somewhere that YDL 4.1 shipped with a beta driver, but I've
never seen the driver myself.  Is it on one of the CDs somewhere?  I also
understand that the Broadcom drivers have been integrated into the kernel
since 2.6.17-rc2.  Unfortunately, I'm running an earlier kernel (as are most,
probably):

$ uname -a
$ Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.15-rc5.ydl.1 #1 Wed Jan 4 16:25:38 EST 2006
ppc ppc ppc GNU/Linux

FFI on kernel-integrated drivers (also on the bcm43xx site):
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=1296

I know that I could get the source for a new kernel at kernel.org; however,
getting a new kernel compiled is way over my head right now.

For the moment, I'm using a wireless Ethernet bridge to connect my iBook G4 to
my Airport base station.  However, that's not really the ideal solution when
I need to be mobile (the bridge requires its own power supply, etc.).  Anyone
know of a kernel package that can simply be installed by yum?  I've been kind
of spoiled by Synaptic (Debian package manager), which lets me install
multiple kernels and choose one on startup.

-PRH