Package installer and Software Updater woes

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 17:55:30 MST 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:45:06 -0800 (PST) dave k
<davedavedavedave4 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi, I have an entirely fresh installation of Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 on
> my PS3 and I'm having a lot of trouble with it. The most of the
> worries are dealing with the Package Installer, Package Manager, and
> Software Updater, three types of programs which I apparently took for
> granted in the past. I am a new Linux user which makes all of this
> even more mystifying and frustrating. Every time I open any of these
> programs, whether it be directly from Enlightenment, GNOME, or as the
> appropriate program to open a file, (i.e. I double click the file, it
> opens, then promptly and consistently quits with an error message.)
> The Add/Remove Programs window does the following. I will click it, a
> smaller window comes up saying Retrieving Software Info. An error
> then appears saying "unable to retrieve software information, this
> could be caused by not having a network connection available." I do
> have a network connection. I am writing you this email right now from
> the PS3 on Mozilla. This is the same message I recieve from "pup", or
> the software updater. I downloaded "yum" as apparently that is
> something I need, but when I click on a file, (a "package designed to
> opened with Software Installer), the "installing Packages" window
> will then claim there are no packages. There are plenty of other
> things about YDL that bother me as well but I'm willing to ignore
> them until I am able to get at LEAST the basics working. What do I
> need to do? Which configurations must I change? Please help me.

If you have an enhanced account you should follow these directions -

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_5.0/yum.shtml

There is supposed to be a similar set of directions for people without
enhanced accounts, but I can't find it right now.