frame buffer ioctl failed-exiting

Michael J Flaherty 2mikeflaherty at comcast.net
Thu Feb 8 13:12:32 MST 2007

 > Well, to answer my own question, sort of.. :-)
 >
 > I went into the system prefs in OSX and changed the monitor
resolution to 1024x768 (was set to 1152x768), and tried again.

 > There was the same error, but it didn't freeze this time, and
finished the configuration.

 > I still don't know why it froze the first time, but at least it's
working now. :-)

 > Carol
 >
 > bein limited <beinltd at yahoo.com> wrote: Has anyone seen this
error?  It happens as YDL is performing post install configuration.
It gets to 50% then freezes.  I did a text install to see what the
error > > was and it gives the following message:

 > Framebuffer ioctl failed. Exiting.
 >
 > but just freezes there.  I did notice during the initial probe
that it lists the monitor as unknown.

 > Any help would be greatly appreciated!  I'm trying to install YDL
4.1 on a G4 powerbook, 400 MHz, 384MB RAM

 > Thanks!
 > Carol

Hi all,

I'm having exactly the same problem as Carol did (found post in
archive), only changing my video to 1024x768 in OS X did not help at
all.  Is there an argument I could pass to the kernel at boot that
would prevent this ?

Other workaround ?

Yaboot does not get installed prior to the installer hanging...

Ti-Book 400 with OS 9.2&10.2.8.

TIA,

Mike F