A new newbie considering buyin a Linux enabled PS3

RonB ronb at transco.com
Wed Feb 21 15:32:33 MST 2007

Hopefully this is the right place for this posting.  I was literally
about to head out to the Sony store to pick up a 60GB PS3 when I saw
Yellowdog mentioned in a forum.  I hope someone in this forum can tell
me if Yellowdog Linux is a good match for my needs.  First of all, I
have no interest in writing code for Linux.  At my age, learning a new
OS isn't practical.  What I am interested in is having greater
flexibility in what I can do with my PS3.  For example, as I understand
it, the PS3 as shipped from the factory isn't very 'media center'
friendly.  The FAT32 file system precludes most HD program sources that
I would use such as hour long ATSC broadcasts downloaded from another
computer on the LAN.  Even without the 4GB file size limit, apparently
the PS3, as shipped from the factory, has no provisions for LAN file
transfers or being able to display streaming video.  Since I really
don't want to dig around in the bowels of Linux, I'd want to be able to
simply download the required software and run; i.e. I'd want the PS3 to
be like an OSX Mac rather than a Wintel abomination.  I could go on, but
I think this single example is representative of what I want to do.
Considering the above, would buying  my PS3 from Terra Soft with
pre-installed Linux  be of any use to me.

[Administrators... I apologize if the above is inappropriate for this
forum.  For a variety of reasons I need to pick up my PS3 soon and was
hoping this would be a quick source for additional information.  If not,
please delete it.]