A new newbie considering buyin a Linux enabled PS3

Rob Nava robnava at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 16:17:45 MST 2007

Quite honestly, your needs of just 'install and go' for media software
probably will not be met by Linux on PS3... especially if you don't have any
Linux experience at all.  If you're Linux newbie, you'll be scratching your
head and wondering why things aren't done 'like on my PC' or 'like on my
Mac'.  Linux on PS3 can do a lot for you, but at this point, it's not handed
to you on a silver platter.  Linux's strength is in its price (free),
customization and flexibility... no matter what others say, it's not ease of
use.  That's constantly being worked on, but alas, it's not there yet.

Some people are going to hate me for saying this, but given your
requirements, previous experience, and reluctance to learn something new, I
would suggest just buying a small XP Media Center / or Vista PC and hooking
it up to your TV.  Even an Xbox 360 with an HDDVD drive (if you desire HD
disc based movies) would serve your needs better than a PS3 at this time.

-Rob

On 2/21/07, RonB <ronb at transco.com> wrote:

> Hopefully this is the right place for this posting.  I was literally
> about to head out to the Sony store to pick up a 60GB PS3 when I saw
> Yellowdog mentioned in a forum.  I hope someone in this forum can tell
> me if Yellowdog Linux is a good match for my needs.  First of all, I
> have no interest in writing code for Linux.  At my age, learning a new
> OS isn't practical.  What I am interested in is having greater
> flexibility in what I can do with my PS3.  For example, as I understand
> it, the PS3 as shipped from the factory isn't very 'media center'
> friendly.  The FAT32 file system precludes most HD program sources that
> I would use such as hour long ATSC broadcasts downloaded from another
> computer on the LAN.  Even without the 4GB file size limit, apparently
> the PS3, as shipped from the factory, has no provisions for LAN file
> transfers or being able to display streaming video.  Since I really
> don't want to dig around in the bowels of Linux, I'd want to be able to
> simply download the required software and run; i.e. I'd want the PS3 to
> be like an OSX Mac rather than a Wintel abomination.  I could go on, but
> I think this single example is representative of what I want to do.
> Considering the above, would buying  my PS3 from Terra Soft with
> pre-installed Linux  be of any use to me.
>
> [Administrators... I apologize if the above is inappropriate for this
> forum.  For a variety of reasons I need to pick up my PS3 soon and was
> hoping this would be a quick source for additional information.  If not,
> please delete it.]

Listen to my fresh, new Podcast episodes every week!
The Jaded Gamers #13: http://thejadedgamers.blogspot.com - 02/16/07 -
"Crickets Rock"