Revert back to PS3 - corrected

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Fri Mar 9 10:51:12 MST 2007

Sorry Nicholas:

The trouble is that superuser and the use of sudo require different
registration procedures within the Linux OS.  This procedure has to do
with how the Linux/Unix operating system expects users with root access
to be registered.  The link below discusses this very briefly:

http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2006-October/020738.html

Details regarding the use of superuser and the sudo command can easily
require a chapter of explanation.  Also it is important to understand
why the root or superuser or su password needs to be different from the
your common - every day user identity (for using open office, email or
chatting or other common user activity) password.  Unfortunately, there
is never a good time to learn the details.  Here are some references
which can help you go as deep as you need to go:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/

By the way, when you get a message like "this incident will be
reported".  Don't worry about it as really, you are the system
administrator to which these reports will go.
After all, you did buy the PS3 and did install YDL 5.  In any case, the
system is yours.

Consider that when you are logged in as a user, Linux treats you
differently; it expects you to behave and do certain things, as
discussed above - it expects you to use applications like open office,
etc.

The purpose of sudo is to allow you access to do system administration
tasks such as wipe out a hard drive or something like that for a period
of time say within 5 minutes.  The amount of time for which you are
allowed to use, or have access to system administration level commands
can be changed or modified by you, but that is a different topic.

For now, understand that with sudo your user name must be properly
placed in the sudoer's file, and then whenever you use the sudo command,
it will check your name -- the registered user name within that sudoer
file.  If it doesn't see it within it's records then the attempt to use
it (the sudo command) will be recorded so that the system administrator
sees who is attempting to access or use commands restricted to the
system administrator.  The other nice feature about the sudo command is
that after that particular command has been executed you are immediately
dropped back into regular user mode without any further action required.

However, in using the su or superuser command you must use the password
for the system administrator, use the commands you wish and then exit
the superuser mode to return to the shell used by the common user.

The information here should be enough to help introduce to the reference
material you'll need.  Nearly any text discussing Linux System
Administration and Linux System Programming will also proof useful