Editing /etc/kboot.conf

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon May 7 19:09:34 MDT 2007

Hi Michael:

Here's something you can do within YDL to help you find it.  It is the
whereis command.  Here is an example of how it works.  In this example,
I'm looking for the file yum.conf and asking whereis to find it for me.
Although I don't have a PS3, I do have YDL 5 (for the Mac) so the
behavior should be similar between our systems even though your version
of YDL 5 is unique to the PS3.  This is how to use it:

[aguila at arakus ~]$ whereis yum.conf
yum: /usr/bin/yum /etc/yum.conf /etc/yum /usr/share/man/man8/yum.8.gz
[aguila at arakus ~]$

Explanation:
The first line is the proper way to use the whereis command to find the
file yum.conf (or any other file).
The second line is the response from the system.  It is telling us that
the file can be found in /etc/yum.conf.  As for the rest the system is
merely listing other file names which contains "yum".  This means you do:

$ cd /etc

This takes you to the directory etc.  Then within that directory you
proceed to look for that particular file you are searching for.  To edit
that file you will have to use an editor you know how to work with.
There are lots of editors in Linux: ed, sed, vim, vi and more.  It may
be a good idea to find instructions either from man or info or from the
web itself and look up there uses before using them.  As your current
purpose is to modify kboot.conf it may be wise to choose the simplest
editor -- ed -- just to do that.  You can learn the more complex editors
such as vi/vim at another date.

To get basic help you could do either:

$man ed

or