2nd try

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue May 15 19:55:16 MDT 2007

A determined hunter always brings home the bacon!  I'll intersperse my
answers following your questions below.

Brant Williams wrote:
> No luck last time so I'll fish again!
>
>> *From: *Brant Williams <fraterf93 at comcast.net
>> <mailto:fraterf93 at comcast.net>>
>> *Date: *May 9, 2007 5:05:12 PM EDT
>> *To: *yellowdog-newbie at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
>> <mailto:yellowdog-newbie at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>> *Subject: **multipart*
>>
>> Hello everyone!  I have Yellowdog 5 on my Mac mini, and I just wanted
>> to borrow your expertise for a bit to answer a few questions.
>>
>>     1)  Java.  I have Xubuntu running on my iMac G3.  By following
>> the instructions posted
>> here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java I have Java, and it runs
>> great with Firefox on this machine.  Now how do I install the SDK in
>> Yellowdog?

Since you mentioned that you had an iMac G3, it may be a good idea to
check if YDL 5 is known to run on it.  Here's that page:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/hardware/breakdown/index.php?hw_cat_id=5

Other versions of YDL exist which remain available for download via the
public mirrors; if YDL 5 won't run on your system an earlier version of
YDL may.  Regarding Java, once YDL is installed you merely use yum to
install.
>>     2)  DVDs.  Also I have DVD playback in Xubuntu.  I understand
>> about restricted formats and all, but seriously with three kids in
>> the house fighting for the "big TV" I find myself watching DVDs on
>> the computer alot, so DVD playback on my computer is important.  VLC
>> anyone?

Frankly, if you have that computer setup as you like it why not just
keep it as is?  I've been using YDL a long time, but I'm also a
pragmatist.  One saying ascribed to Yogi Berra goes, "If it ain't broke,
don't fix it."

If however your family is really into video moving upwards from a Mac to
a PS3 could be a compelling attraction.  Get out of the computer display
onto real HDTV and games.  You can also run YDL 5 on it allowing you
entrance in that rare world of extremely advanced high-end programming
of the Cell - a nine core CPU; now that's something to move towards -
isn't it?
>>     3)  MOL.  How do I get Mac-on-Linux in Yellowdog 5?

The following was posted by Dr. Sacco back in early May, it should be
useful to you.
In case you wish to look amongst the mail archives look for Subject: Re:
[ydl-gen]Mac-on-Linux?

Derick,

MOL is alive and well. It is being maintained by Joe Jazak and others.
[I fixed the RPM generation code a while back.]

If you wish to try it out on a PPC running YDL-5.x:

* pull the latest source code from SVN trunk

        svn co http://mac-on-linux.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mac-on-linux/trunk mac-on-linux

* examine the build options

        run: make help

* build the RPMs

        run: make rpms

which will build the RPMs [mol + kernel modules] using the default
options for PPCs.

If you wish to build MOL manually, do the following:

* make prefix=/usr
[default prefix is /usr/local]

A kernel-like menu based configuration dialog will eventually appear
allowing you to set options.

* make install prefix=/usr

-Joseph

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 02:01 -0400, Derick Centeno wrote:
> > I recall MOL being popular when a much earlier system of the Mac OS was
> > in use (9?) and one needed to boot from it to get into YDL. As Apple
> > moved to OS X and chose to drop the PPC entirely MOL also became, at
> > least for me, superfluous as I choose to live within YDL nearly
> > exclusively. I am aware that not everyone would share my thoughts on
> > this matter, however I do believe that due to all the changes which
> > occurred a lot of persons lost interest in MOL as a tool in itself.
> >
> > Before I express another word, I will share that I did find a wiki
> > discussing MOL located here:
> >
> > http://mac-on-linux.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
> >
> > Good luck... Derick.

-- joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net
_______________________________________________ yellowdog-general
HINT: to Google archives, try '<keywords> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

>>     4)  sudo.  How can I enable my account to use sudo?  How can I
>> open a Terminal as root, or log in as root for that matter?

This question as you've written it, is unclear to me.  For the sake of
saving time, I'll restrict it to mean a personal user account on a YDL
system.  I'll also explain the concept of sudo first and approach your
last question along the way.
My intent is to address the topic by the time I conclude the
explanation.  If that is not the case, please express whatever needs
further clarification.

Here are two strategies of control and command of a Linux system which
contributes towards a strong defense:

1.  Where the owner and user are the same, there should be two accounts:
    a. root (also known as superuser via the su command) with a unique
password
    b. username (a personal user account) with a unique password
different from root.

The root account will be exclusively used for various tasks identified
within the IT/MIS industry as System Administration duties/tasks which
include but are not limited to:

    a, installing/removing hard drives.  Preparing and formatting hard
drives.
    b. creating/removing user accounts.
    c. downloading, compiling and installing applications from source.
    d. establishing iptable rules and firewalls.
    e. installing/removing printers and other devices such that YDL
"sees" and knows of the existence of these devices so that they may be
used by users.

The username account is limited to:

    a: using applications -- games, wordprocessing, email, video and audio.

If there may be more than one user using the YDL system then the owner
is also the System Administrator (SA) in that he/she can control:

    a. what a user may/may not use or have access to.  One effective
means of control is to restrict a user to a particular shell.  In some
shells users can be restricted from using certain applications by the
simple fact of not being allowed to see view, access or even know of
their existence.  They are permanently "locked out" until the SA decides
otherwise.
       a1.  each user can also have a different application and desktop
environment,  as no user (apart from the SA) has any access to another's
shell environment.

The username the SA chooses will be the only username which has complete
and full access to the system the same as root does, while using the
password of that specific username while using sudo.  While sudo allows
access equal to that of the SA or root; it does so only for a limited
period of time which can be lengthened or shortened by the SA.

The blank space immediately following a command means to press the Enter
key.
Procedure for activating sudo:
1.  Do :

[aguila at arakus ~]$ whereis visudo
visudo: /usr/sbin/visudo /usr/share/man/man8/visudo.8.gz

Note that Linux tells you where visudo is.  Go there, switch to
superuser and use that password, and invoke visudo.

[aguila at arakus ~]$ cd /usr/sbin
[aguila at arakus sbin]$ su
Password:
[root at arakus sbin]# ./visudo

Explanation:
The above command opens the sudoer's file; this is the file the sudo
command refers to in order to check who is allowed access.  This
particular file is encrypted by Linux; it is a good idea to not attempt
to view it via any other editor or means.  After the above successfully
executes you should look for the following within this file:

root ALL=(ALL) ALL

The editor one is using to do this work is called vi (hence the command
visudo).  To make any changes to any file opened within vi press the
letter i on your keyboard.  You will see INSERT appear, this means you
can now edit this file.  Immediately underneath the above line, you will
enter:

root ALL=(ALL) ALL
username ALL=(ALL) ALL

You will now save this change to the sudo file by doing the following:
Press the Esc key followed by the Shift key and the colon key on your
keyboard at the same time.  This will take you to the bottom of the file
and a colon will appear.  There you will type w! followed by pressing
the Enter key; then Esc key again followed by the Shift key and the
colon key.  This time type q! followed by pressing the Enter key.

To learn more about vi and vim remember that when you are within vim or
vi to type help (followed by the Enter key) just after the colon which
appears at the bottom of the file.  vi or vim can teach you how to use it.

To open a file using the vi or vim editor just do:

$vi filename

or

$vim filename

However, if you remain within user mode (signified by $) you will only
be able to read a file; vi/vim indicates this by clear stating that the
file is READ ONLY.

su, root or sudo will allow you to read and write that file.

Within e17, YDL 5 depicts what you (and OS X) calls a Terminal as a
square monitor icon appearing within the top ibar (information bar).
The reason it is called that is because as you pass your cursor over
that or any other image; it's name appears above it.

That's it... if there's something else please let me know.

Good Luck...