Root Password

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat May 19 17:40:55 MDT 2007

Hi Joey:

The root or superuser password is chosen when you are installing YDL.
This is also the System Administrator password as it allows all kinds of
changes within Linux -- such as wipe a hard disk, resurrect a hard disk,
add a printer, etc.  Every password of this kind is different according
to the need of the person doing the YDL installation.

To change the root password for your system you will have to recall the
root password you have now.  Do the following:

$su
password:
#passwd root

Remember to choose a password you'll keep clearly in mind.
To change the user passwd you've chosen for when you choose to work
within YDL as a user you can do the following after choosing a username:

#passwd moadeeb

As a matter of useful practice even if only one person owns the system,
and therefore only one person is both user and System Administrator -- a
user name or identity besides root is created to do normal stuff such as
use paint or spreadsheet or other Linux applications.

It is also rather a good idea to name your system.  The generic name for
a system is localhost, however as your skills increase and you start
doing more sophisticated computer work within YDL leaving your system
name as the same generic name which untold millions use is not the best
strategy.

Rather  than pursue the details via this list, it may be quicker and
more efficient to use these resources for further study:

   1. The Linux Documentation Project (http://www.tldp.org/) a great
      place to pick up the fundamentals.
   2. Using Linux System Administration: This book is a very reliable
      resource, at least for me.  You can get it from Amazon.com rather
      cheaply:
      http://www.amazon.com/Using-Linux-Administration-Special-Danesh/dp/0789723522/ref=sr_1_1/103-8891021-0197440?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179617286&sr=8-1

Good Luck...