power management with pbbuttonsd on older iMac

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon May 28 20:13:28 MDT 2007

On Mon, 28 May 2007 07:25:12 -0600
Paul Robert <paul at paulrobert.ca> wrote:

> I've seen a lot of people asking the same question, but no clear
> answers: How does one access power management options on YDL (using
> Gnome, let's say)? pbbuttonsd seems to promise what I'm looking for
> (brightness, contrast control, trigger sleep mode) but only on
> laptops. I have YDL 5.0.1 running on a 2001 iMac DV (bubble model),
> not a laptop. Can pbbuttonsd be of any use? Any time I try to run
> pbbuttonsd, I get this message:
> > WARNING: No backlight driver available - check your Kernel
> > configuration. INFO: Initialized: ALSA Mixer
> > pbbuttonsd 0.8.0: Unknown PowerBook - PMU version: 12
> > INFO: Script '/etc/power/pmcs-pbbuttonsd performance ac ' lauched
> > but exitcode is not null
> Obviously powerprefs, (GUI for pbbuttonsd) doesn't work either:
> ERROR: Server message port not found. Server isn't running.
>
> Anybody have suggestions?

Hi Paul:

Power Management can mean many things, just what kind of power
(electrical tracking) support do you need??  Whenever I've heard that
phrase I've always thought it referred to Linux or Unix being in sync
with a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) so that at brown outs or
power surges the system has time to receive signals from the UPS
regarding what is going on, the battery condition of the UPS and when
the system needs to shutdown, etc.

Maybe that kind of power management is overkill for you; maybe you just
want a simple power indicator which is available within e17.  However,
before I assume anything further it would help if you explained a bit
more.

========
The scientist's religious feeling takes the form of a
rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which
reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, in
comparison with it, the highest intelligence of human beings
is an utterly insignificant reflection.  This feeling is the
guiding principle of his life and work.
-- Albert Einstein, Scientist.