CAE

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Jun 12 19:18:57 MDT 2007

Hi Jenny!

If you are using the Mac version of YDL 5 there are three programs which can be
easily found within the e17 environment.  You do:

Applications --> Sound & Video

Choose any one of the three programs there (Rhythmbox, Movieplayer and
Helixplayer) and you should be fine.  I prefer Movieplayer as the application
includes the GOOM application which produces some very nice color imagery which
is associated to the music played. In using Movieplayer remember to
enter that the CD or DVD you use is located in /dev/hdc (for YDL 5);
Movieplayer should see it immediately and start playing the music
there.

You may find Rhythmbox is easier to use and may have features more
to your own interests - Internet radio or the capacity to acquire podcasts,
for instance. Older versions of YDL also have earlier versions of these same or
similar programs. The versions of those programs are matched to the earlier
versions of YDL and they play music (mp3's, and CDs and DVDs) rather well, I
thought.

In YDL 3 and 2 I recall a nice version of something called xmms which
had many interesting musical features echo, reverb, etc.

Regarding playing DVDs or movies or video images keep in mind that although the
programs such as Movie and Helix player technically are quite capable there may
be license conflicts which prevent or don't allow these programs to use plugins
available for Windows or OS X.

The question of plugins being available to play such media for other forms of
Linux running on Intel or Intel-like computers has arisen previously.  Keep in
mind that computers which run Linux on PowerPC systems don't have that same
level of support due to complexities regarding licenses and other related
issues. Discussions amongst various companies and projects continue with the
goal of changing this situation.

However, if music and video is something you absolutely must have it may be
practical to be able to switch to OS X when necessary and later switch back
to YDL to engage in other tasks.  If such flexibility interests you, then
please express your interest in proceeding in that direction and someone will
present some ideas for you to consider at that time.

Don't let these applications fool you though.  There are more versions of such
programs with many complex options which you can build yourself once you are
more familiar with compiling and building applications from source within YDL.

There are lots of possibilities with as many surprising variations which is
where Linux is really different from OS X.  It can take awhile to piece a
variety of skills together, but the good thing is that the community here and
elsewhere such as http://www.yellowdog-board.com/ can be encouraging resources
from which to draw.

Good Luck...

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:26:52 -0400
"Jennifer Lynn" <jenstar13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > hi Newbie here
>

> Can someone point me to where I can get mp3's working on my g4 ppc
>
> I was surfing but can't find the right page
> Thank you
> Jenny

========
The scientist's religious feeling takes the form of a
rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which
reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, in
comparison with it, the highest intelligence of human beings
is an utterly insignificant reflection.  This feeling is the
guiding principle of his life and work.
-- Albert Einstein, Scientist.