Where are the Repositories?

Robert Schnick jazzybob at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 17:26:39 MDT 2007

I find YDL so circumlocutory that I am now advocating UBUNTU.  If you like
YDL decision for KDE, you can have that also: Kubuntu.

Easy and PPC repositories are always there through easy menus.  If you think
you need to get beat up to use LINUX, fine.  Knock yourself out.  For the
real world (that's why you originally bought a mac, right?)  - use UBUNTU.

Debian repositories as well as world-wide UBUNTU repositories and support
are incredible.

On 6/26/07, Jason Christiansen <jchristiansen at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is something I have wondered about as well, both for 4.1 and 5.
> Going on an uneducated hunch, I would say that since YDL has its roots in
> Fedora/Red Hat, you could use Fedora PPC repositories to supplement the
> software selection.  I'm not exactly sure how well it would work though,
> depending on if YDL places some things and elements in drastically different
> locations, has different build options, etc.  I know that FreshRPMs has a
> Yellowdog 4.0 directory, but I'm not sure of how often it's updated or how
> well its maintained.
>
> From my limited research so far, I believe you can use Fedora Core 5 repos
> in YDL, but as I said, it's a more uneducated hunch.  I'm still in process
> of exploring and researching, and if anyone sees something wrong or
> incorrect in my assumptions please do say so.
>
> There is also the option of compiling from source and installing that way,
> but it kind of defeats the purpose of YUM and RPMs.
>
> I'd recommend sticking with YDL for a bit longer and see if you can get
> the repos worked out.  I've gone through several distributions on my G4 and
> found that Yellowdog was the easiest and most complete to install (for me
> anyway).
>

> Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:52:52 -0700
> From: David Lowe <doctorjlowe at verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: Where are the Repositories?
> To: Discussion List for New Yellow Dog Linux Users
>        <yellowdog-newbie at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com >
>
> On Jun 25, 2007, at 3:07 PM, Derick Centeno wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:39:17 -0700
> > David Lowe < doctorjlowe at verizon.net> wrote:
>
> <snip stuff about Ubuntu & fink>
>
> >> I decided i would like to put some linux on my old PowerBook,
> >> and preferably experiment with rpms to supplement my familiarity with
> >> debs.  I finally got around to installing YDL 5.01, got online and
> >> immediately upgraded to 5.02.
> >
> > That's a good move as far as PowerPC systems are concerned, but
> > keep in mind
> > that current packages for you are best installed and searched
> > either using the
> > Add/Remove Software utility (also called pirut).  It's recommended
> > that you use
> > the Add portion, not the Remove portion.  In other words, avoid
> > unchecking any
> > software.
> >
> > As far as searching current rpms modify the yum.conf file according
> > to the
> > instructions here:
> >
> > http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_5.0/yum.shtml
>
> <snip directions on using yum>
>
>        Okeh, i read the web page you pointed me to, and my
> /etc/yum.repos.d
> looks exactly like they say it should look.  Now this is just sad, as
> it means the paltry offerings in Package Manager are all there is.
> On the topic of available software, i'm going to focus in on an
> emotionally charged area: games.  In Package Manager i can browse the
> [...]

Bob Schnick

UBUNTU/EDUBUNTU LINUX user and advocate.