try to install GNASH

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat Sep 8 11:00:56 MDT 2007

Buona Serra, Sacarde!

And there my Italian ends.

In my opinion, the best way to do what you are attempting is to have
yum sort out the dependencies needed for you.  Depending upon which
version of YDL you are using you will have to modify yum.conf (for YDL
4 and earlier) or yum.repos.d directory (for YDL 5) so that the
programs available within Fedora extras are visible and available to
yum.  I don't believe that gnash is part of the standard yum library
reference; in other words when you install YDL yum can't see gnash
because it has no information about it.  You need to modify either
yum.conf or the yum.repos.d directory to tell yum where to look.

On my system I'm running YDL 5 and I've made the modifications
necessary so that yum knows where to find programs which reside in
Fedora extras.  If you want the instructions unique to YDL 5 allowing
yum to find anything residing within Fedora extras let me know, and I'll
share them here.  To illustrate the point however, once the
modification is done you should be able to do as I did.  Here is a
printout of my invoking yum to search for gnash, note the wild card *
symbol which is very effective when you are looking for something you
don't know the complete spelling of or if you don't know exactly how a
program was named:

[aguila at arakus ~]$ sudo yum search "gnash*"
Password:
Searching Packages:
Setting up repositories
extras
[1/4] extras                    100% |=========================|  951
B    00:00
fedora-extras
[2/4] fedora-extras             100% |=========================| 1.1
kB    00:00
updates
[3/4] updates                   100% |=========================|  951
B    00:00
base
[4/4] base                      100% |=========================| 1.1
kB    00:00 Reading repository metadata in from local files

gnash.ppc                                0.7.2-2.fc5
fedora-extras Matched from:
gnash
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

gnash-klash.ppc                          0.7.2-2.fc5
fedora-extras Matched from:
gnash-klash
The gnash flash movie player plugin for Konqueror.
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

gnash-plugin.ppc                         0.7.2-2.fc5
fedora-extras Matched from:
gnash-plugin
The gnash flash movie player plugin for firefox or mozilla.
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
[aguila at arakus ~]$

Notice that yum searches whatever library it knows about to find this
or any other program.  When a program is found which matches what you
instructed it to find, then it tells you what it is and where it is.
The next step is up to you. If it was me, and I wanted
everything related to gnash, then I would tell yum:

sudo yum install "gnash*"

Normally yum works exclusively within superuser; it is working within
user mode because of I included my username within the sudoer file,
allowing me to execute sudo which allows superuser access for a short
period of time (usually enough to execute normally restricted superuser
commands) and then returns me automatically to normal user mode without
superuser access.

Remember that although yum can install and do many things for you
saving you from going insane searching for dependencies (or worse
having to build, compile and separately link and install each one), you
must inform yum first regarding where to look.

Buona Fortuna...

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:55:30 +0200
sacarde <sacarde at tiscali.it> wrote:

> hi,
>    can somebody suggest me a way to install:
> gnash
>
> and his dependencies
> (libgl
> libxml2
> curl
> gtkglext
> libtool
> ffmpeg>=20070505-3
> libtheora
> boost
> libdc1394
> libxmu)
>
> thank you

========
 "If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often
think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of
music. ... I get most joy in life out of music."

"What Life Means to Einstein: An Interview by George Sylvester
Viereck," for the October 26, 1929 issue of The Saturday Evening Post.