no DVD burner

Jim Baker frstprin at mninter.net
Fri Sep 14 23:19:09 MDT 2007

Jay,
	The hard part is downloading your .iso file if you just have dialup
service. (You can download the .iso on any machine, just make sure you
choose the one you want for you PPC and don't try to open it until you
burn it on the Mac.) Once you have a clean .iso, just drag the file
into the LEFT panel on your PPC Disc Utility program, select it and
click the Burn icon on your tool bar. You'll need a capable burner with
a blank DVD in the tray, ready to go. It should burn. Otherwise, if you
know how to use the OS X terminal, you can do it with hdutil.
	DON"T try to partition your hard drive with OS X Disc Utility unless
you want to reformat it. IPartition ($40.00) can do that and there was
an active discussion on Ubuntu PPC forum recently about using a free
Linux utility to do the same thing. Was it gparted? I can't recall. You
can check it out. Obviously, changing partition sizes with data on your
drive is chancy so always back up everything you wouldn't want to lose.
	You can verify your DVD after burning in Disc Utility. Presumably if
it checks out o.k., it should be good to go. 	YDL is supposed ;-) to
install without difficulty on your Mac.
	Good luck.
	Jim

On Sep 14, 2007, at 5:40 PM, jayspame at comcast.net wrote:

> I read the howto
> (http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_5.0/ydl-net-
> config.shtml) but found it confusing.  I don't have a YDL DVD, can't
> afford to buy one, and can't burn one.  I have a cd burner on my
> windoz box and could burn a boot.iso from there if I had a link to
> dowload it.  I don't see why a webserver is necessary but I have
> apache running on osx if that is of any use.  I searched netinstall on
> the ts site, but didn't find anything useful.
>
> Googling around, I found a free app called "magic disk" that looks
> like it can burn a dvd to flash or a partition, but I haven't tried it
> yet.  Can the mac disk utility or hdutil do anything like that?

> From: Aaron Johnson <ajohnson at terrasoftsolutions.com>
>> Jim,
>> You may want to consider buying a DVD box set from TSS as this is the
>> easiest way, other options include downloading and burning all the CD
>> images, or doing a netinstall only using a boot.iso.
>>
>> Aaron
>>
>> jayspame at comcast.net wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I've got YDL 3 and I want to upgrade to 5.  I don't have a DVD
>>> burner and I'm,
>> shall we say, pecuniarily challenged.
>>>
>>> Can I "burn" the DVD image to a flash drive and boot up from that?
>>> Anybody
>> know how to do it?  How about on an unused hard drive or partition?
>> It seems
>> like this should be possible.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, is it possible to use yum or apt to upgrade from 3 to
>>> 5?  I ran
>> yum upgrade and got all my vers. 3 packages updated but I don't see
>> how to
>> update to a new level.  Is this possible?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Jim