Dual nic on a server

Luis Fernandez De Jauregui luisf at nortel.com
Mon Oct 15 10:54:46 MDT 2007

Hi,

If I have a Silicon Mechanics server with two NICs connected to different networks. When I send a packet to a remote host, it goes through my routing tables and sends the message out the correct interface with it's corresponding IP address as the source IP. Every now and then I see some packets go out on that same interface but with the IP address assigned to the other interface as the source IP.

My question is, how does the OS choose what IP address to use as the source IP? I thought that it was going to go through the routing tables, choose the interface and then put the IP associated with that interface as the source, but it looks like it is not always doing that. ANy ideas?

Thanks,

Luis Emilio Fernandez de Jáuregui
Sr. MSS GSM/UMTS Lab Infrastructure
Nortel