Installation without CD Burning

Paulo J. Matos pocm at soton.ac.uk
Wed Nov 14 02:40:23 MST 2007

On 14/11/2007, Derick Centeno <aguilarojo at verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi Paulo:
>
> The problem is a matter of transmission throughput which is an
> unwieldy way of saying that your network may not be fast enough to
> pass nearly 3+G of data.  Currently the DVD comprising YDL 5 holds 3
> +G.  You can calculate what it would mean to try to download that
> through a normal land or phone line via a modem at 56K/s.
> Mathematics aside your query implies a need for a network install,
> the best way to arrange that is through TSS directly and they will
> discuss what may be done.  They do review the traffic on these lists,
> but if you want this clarified quickly it's best if you communicate
> with them first.

Hello,

I'm in a university hall so I have a very very fast connection. That
would not be the issue. Anyway, you talk about DVD: I don't think I
have a DVD burner nearby (a CD burner is certainly easier to get), can
I use CDs at least to install it?

It's very hard (at least for me it is, compared to other linux
distros), to find a way to download the ISOs. Do you have the url
handy to send it to me please?

> I'm not sure when the next version of YDL will be released but that
> will not address the central issue of the fundamental limitations
> your query raised.

I would think it would be quite straightforward. It seems it is not,
so I'll just leave it for some other time when I have more spare time
to pursue this question. Right now I'll then probably just try to some
blank CDs and a CD recorder.

> Good Luck...

Thanks!