Low Resolution TV Workaround

Ron Rogers Jr. CronoCloud at mchsi.com
Wed Nov 21 12:17:20 MST 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:53:36 +0000
"Paulo J. Matos" <pocm at soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After some thought I decided to install YDL on my PS3.
> Everything is up and running but since I'm using a SDTV, linux
> is unusable since the TV.

This subject seems familiar. (I have a PS2 Linux kit)  IIRC it
is possible to actually use YDL on your SDTV.  You just have to
set it up.  The resolution will be an issue but not as much as
you might think. I run my PS2 Linux kit on SDTV all the time
(640x448).  Some things, like plain console/term applications
aren't much affected at all.  Things with lots of
toolbars/icons/widgets are more affected, Abiword being an
example.

> I would only run linux to have a programming environment for
> cell, so what I thought is to access the X session through
> VMware and do the programming from my laptop which is in the
> same network as the PS3.
>
> Now, the questions, is vmware installed by default or should I
> install it. Will it work? Is there any better software for
> this task than vmware?
>
> Cheers,

If all you need is command prompt access, just ssh (or telnet)
in from whatever terminal application you have on the laptop.  I
use Cygwin on Windows for the X server when I want to use
X-forwarding, which for me is simply running from the Cygwin
prompt:

xinit

ssh -Y -1 192.168.1.100

Then running my window manager when I'm logged in.

CronoCloud (Ron Rogers Jr.)