upgrade to 6.0 on a PS3

PeterH5322 peterh5322 at rattlebrain.com
Mon Mar 10 16:58:28 MDT 2008

>Anaconda will see the partitions created during the last install of YDL
>5 and write over it as it proceeds to install YDL6, if you allow it to
>do so.  Mucking about in manipulating the partitions themselves and
>removing prior data is possible of course, but uneccessary as the
>available space will be utilized for YDL 6.

Indeed it does.

I installed 6.0 on top of (in place of) 5.0.2, but I was very careful
about selecting the interactive option to make sure it was going to touch
the 5.0.2 partition and not one of several MacOS X partitions.

One thing I learned a while back: your boot drive should have only two
bootable partitions, otherwise the "X" option doesn't know what to do.

Should you have two or more X partitions, then you can first make an
emergency floppy image of X, and then boot into it using the "C" option,
and thereafter use the "System Preferences" panel (assuming you
remembered to include "System Preferences" in the emergency floppy image,
which is NOT the default) to select which X partition you want.

But, you may have to do a Cmd-Opt-O-F followed by the usual reset
sequence in order to get back the YDL interractive boot menu.

Bottom line: dual boot works well when there are only two partitions on
the boot drive, 9 or X and YDL.