Services Contact Form

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Wed Mar 26 05:37:46 MDT 2008

Hi Mihai:

Part of the problem is Yahoo itself.  Although there is a version of
their product for Linux (to my surprise) they are not specific
regarding which Linux.  Is it Linux which is compiled specifically to
run on Intel and compatible CPUs or is it Linux compiled specifically
for PowerPC family CPUs.  Obviously, as your note makes clear it
doesn't run; therefore we must assume that it is compiled to run on
Intel machines.

This has nothing to do with YDL6 or TSS, this is something that Yahoo
alone can change as Yahoo Messenger is not an open source product.
If it was open source, all you'd need is to recompile the source
within YDL6 for the computer you have.  Nearly every open source or
GPL based program works like that.

In other words, say I download R, which is a statistics package, most
people who are aware of it run/use it on their Intel machines, but
because this is also an open source product I can download the source
and recompile the program within the YDL6 on the PowerPC computer I
have.  By the way, R works fine.

Anyway there are other programs available within the official
packages provided for YDL6 and on the internet (all of which are open
source or GPL - General Public License - based) which you can
download, install and use to communicate which whomever you please --
just not on the Yahoo network until they choose to compile their
product for the PowerPC family.  The advantage to switching to the
open source community is that your friends can use whatever computer
they use (supposedly mostly Intel) and you can use what you've got
which is a computer within the PowerPC family and they can use the
same open source software as you do.