YDL 6.0 CD Not Found during installation on PS3

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Tue May 27 18:52:30 MDT 2008

Hi Brenton:

I believe this may be a problem of procedure, as in what step comes first.

For explicit clarity I'll merely state what you probably already understand:

One cannot upgrade from YDL 5.2 to YDL 6.0 by normal means using yum, etc.

If you've tested your YDL 6.0 DVD (not cd); there are NO versions of
.iso of YDL 6 which can be burned onto CDs nor are there any YDL 6.0
CDs.  You can verify this yourself by checking the public mirrors, but
I believe this remains true.

Check to make sure that the computer you are using can read/write
DVDs.  If it can read DVDs then merely insert the YDL 6.0 DVD and boot
from that DVD.  You can do this by pressing the c key on any mac (this
signifies to the mac to boot from the inserted disk).  Otherwise you
can press the option key and select the sitting penguin next to the
DVD icon.  Either approach will initiate the Anaconda the installer
for YDL 6.0 you can then make your selections from that point.

A drive which can write DVDs is an advantage in case the .iso you
downloaded is faulty in some way and fails the MD5 test.  After it
passes the test then you can burn the .iso onto a DVD and proceed as
above.

However if all you have is a CD drive then you can attach to your mac
an external DVD device which can read/write DVDs.  I've not had
problems starting an installation within Anaconda from an external DVD
drive when I had to do so; hopefully this may be an option for you
should you need it.

Remember that if you have documents within YDL 5.x you wish preserved;
back them up elsewhere (leave it within a mac folder, for example.
Then after YDL 6.0 exists mount the mac from within YDL 6.0 and then
get the files you want) as YDL 6.0 will write over the YDL partition
during the installation process (depending upon what you options you
choose within Anaconda).  YDL 6.0 is completely different from earlier
versions so be sure that essential documents are available to
reinstall into YDL 6.0 applications.

All the best...